Saturday, September 29, 2012

A Quiet Toy

This was an ingenious idea that came to me in the night before our trip to Washington this summer. Before we left I was searching for toys and activities to keep our 13 month old happy and quiet on our trip. There wasn't a whole lot of things out there so I began thinking of things I could make.

As a School Psychologist I work with children with developmental disabilities. Sometimes they also have physical disabilities and we develop toys that help develop these skills. So with my work experience and my love for crafting this toy was born.

Here are the materials you will need:

1. A parmesan cheese container or something with a lid and different size holes.

2. Scrapbook paper

3. Modge Podge

4. Foam Brush (I got mine at Hobby Lobby).

5. Sticks. This can be anything from skewers to pipe cleaners.

FIRST: scrap off sticker on container and make sure it's clean. I cleaned mine in the sink and dishwasher just to make sure it didn't stink of cheese.

SECOND: cut your scrapbook paper to fit the container. Then take your foam brush and brush Modge Podge all over the front of the paper. This will make the paper durable. Let it dry. The drying time may differ depending on how humid the day is.

THIRD: when the paper is dry spread more Modge Podge on the back of the scrapbook paper and place on it on the container. This step was a little tricky because I didn't get it straight on the first try, but just pull it back off and re-center. Apply more glue is you need to. Let it dry completely.

FOURTH: Cut sticks to fit inside the container. I used pipe cleaner and skewers. The skewers were very hard to cut with normal scissors so I don't recommend using a nice pair. Maybe next time I will use something different.

FIFTH: you are finished!!! Place the sticks inside and enjoy the quietness.

This toy had been a life saver on many flights, car trips, weddings, and even during church. The events are endless.

I hope you enjoy this tutorial. Please stop back to see more in the future or subscribe to my blog.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment