Saturday, February 23, 2013

Vintage wooden folding ruler star


Today's crafting project is fast and easy. The only supplies you need is a folding ruler.

Last month I picked up a folding carpenters ruler as the flea market. I purchased mine for about $1. I thought the white aspect was interesting, but I wasn't sure what to do with it.


I did a little searching on pinterest and found these great ideas:

Star and Crown


I decided for right now the best option for our decor was the star. Emily is learning the names of shapes so the star is perfect for her. Plus its a word she is familiar with and uses.

Folding up the star was a bit tricky. I realized that I had two extra bends/arms that I didn't need. To fold it you need 10, not 12. So I tucked two of the arms behind and it worked great. At some point I may secure it permanently, but for now it is loose.

To start I bent the arms into the five points. This is the trickiest part, making them all uniform. My best suggestion is to just playing around with it and push and pull them into the exact placement you want. Mine looked pretty silly at first and I am sorry I didn't take a picture. I got a little frustrated. In the end it worked out though.

I am super excited about how it turned out. When Christmas comes around it will fit into my decor with ease. If you live in Texas you could probably paint this red to match that great Texas spirit. I hope you enjoy this project as much as I did.



<3 Farmgirls


No comments:

Post a Comment