Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Bringing out the big guns

Miss Emily has decided its okay to talk back to me, argue, tell me what to do, or just flat out say, "No!". Now I realize all of this is quite normal, but its also normal for children to have limits and know the rules. In our house talking back and being disrespectful will not be tolerated. So with help from a couple I look up to in our home church I was given this model of teaching a little respect.

The main method for teaching is using a little Apple Cider Vinegar on my finger and putting it on her lips. Whenever Miss Emily talks back or argues she gets a drop in her mouth.

This was super hard to do at first, but Miss Emily quickly figured out how nasty it tasted. At first Emily got several drops within the first five minutes but this amount quickly diminished as the day went on. To check for understanding I would get the bottle out and ask her how not to get vinegar in her mouth. It didn't work and I had to tell her. I hope this will get easier over time. I plan on using this as a teachable moment in the future where she can opt out of the vinegar if she can change her attitude. I want her to understand she ultimately has control of her life and future.

If you found this interesting or have questions please leave me a comment below. I'd love to hear your success stories and/or failures. I love learning from others.

Love,
The Farm Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment